Friday, May 30, 2014

My Clinical Trial Experience

I started a medical trial in November of 2012 for my pulmonary hypertension. My doctor introduced me to the study. He was very interested in me being a part of the study because he wanted to be able to monitor my PH closely. Being that I also have Lupus my doctor wanted to be able to keep a close eye on me. I decided to be involved in the study because I wanted to learn more about PH, and I felt really bad at the time, and I also figured it would be a great way to contribute to the pulmonary hypertension community.

Once I made the decision to be a part of the study, I had to do a few tests to make sure I was a good candidate for the medical study. I had to have blood tests, six minutes walks, and an EKG. If I were selected to be in the study I would be given a pill, either active medication or a placebo pill. I would have to come in monthly and so on to do more blood work, six-minute walks, and EKGs.

I was really excited when I got the call that I had been chosen to be a part of the trial. I don’t like taking medicine, but like I mentioned, I figured I would do my part for PH research. When I first started I was taking 1 pill in the morning, and 1 pill at night. Every few weeks I would get a call and my dose would go up. It was nice coming in and seeing the research coordinators, my doctors, and the respiratory therapist. I was able to build relationships with all of these people. All of the people involved were so wonderful, they made me feel so comfortable, and they were so helpful. I knew they all wanted the best for me.

I have learned so much about pulmonary hypertension through this research study. I have also gotten more involved with the PH community. I continue to educate myself, and ask questions to learn more and more. The study has brought me closer to my team of doctors and nurses. I feel so comfortable with them, and that has made being very open and honest with them very easy. I also know that they are there for me and on my team, and that is a great feeling knowing that they care.

I am still involved in the study, and I will most likely continue on when the study closes, at that time if I am currently on a placebo I will be given the active medicine. If you have any questions about my medical trial please ask. If you are interested in getting involved with a clinical trial, please visit clinicaltrials.gov.

Written by Elisa L.

No comments:

Post a Comment