Saturday, May 10, 2014

A Mother's Day Post

For years I struggled to find the right Mother’s Day gift, there’s only so many candles and bubble bath sets one can give to their mom. This year I am doing something quite different; I have invited my mother, who is also my caregiver, to come with me to the Pulmonary Hypertension Association’s 2014 International PH Conference and Scientific Sessions. This is our first conference and we are very excited to be a part of the event.

I wanted my mom to be there for me because she is truly the only person in my life who has seen every part of my journey with pulmonary hypertension. I was 26 when I first started having symptoms and from the beginning my mom took me to every doctor appointment and every test. I was diagnosed with Lupus in August of 2010, and so I figured the symptoms might be related to my Lupus. As I sat there worried and waiting my mom was right by my side. She has always had a way to be a calming presence in my life. Even when I was worn thin and I would snap at her, she stayed strong for me as my biggest supporter. In the moments when I was scared and less than positive, I knew she was the anchor I needed in the storm I was entering.


So far my mom has been by my side at all of the important moments in my life: when I was born, all my milestones, my graduations, and she was there the moment I needed her the most. The moment my life changed forever, a meeting with my Pulmonologist, the moment we found out how serious pulmonary hypertension is. The moment my mother learned that her first daughter was so ill she had a few years to live. I can’t imagine what went through her mind, I do know that at that moment she felt helpless, and that she would in that moment give anything to take it all away.

My mom is the strongest woman I know, and I will ever know. She has shown me how to push through any situation, she has taught me to be the brave young woman I am today. I owe her my life, and not because she brought me into this world, but because she has kept me here. Her love alone keeps me from breaking and her love is the driving force behind all that I do. I love her and I am incredibly thankful to have her as my mom.


I was diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension (PH) in June of 2012, and at this point I am feeling very well, and getting back to being my old self. I recently started to work out, and I am getting stronger everyday. We have chosen to be overly positive, and that has made living with PH easier. I have always been a hopeful person and with my mom by my side as my caregiver I wake up every day knowing that I have a wonderful support system. I found a poem that describes how I feel about my mom, and she has been there for me in so many ways, and even as an adult she has taken care of me, her baby. I feel safe and strong because of her. Happy Mother’s Day Mom!
An Angel (Mother's day Poem)
You're an angel from above.
You are there always for me.
During my darkest hour,
you're there keeping me safe and warm.
I never felt alone because
I have your very special care.
Inside your magic place,
so small yet I fit in comfortably,
so nice and cozy for me.


When I came to the world,
even from pain
tears of joy fell down from your cheeks.
You welcome me with your
sweet embrace
and tiny warm kisses.
It was my first kissed
and first hugged that was the sweetest.


When you heard me crying,
you rocked me gently
in your arms lovingly.
When I'm in pain,
you are crying in misery.
When I was sick,
you never slept instead lay beside me awake
watching me if i ever needed some help.


You're the only one
who understood
my struggled to talk.
Every time I fell down
from my swaggering walked,
you're there to lend me your gentle hands
and keep me on my feet.


You never lost your patience for me,
instead compassion and understanding
for all my mischiefs and wrong deeds.
You always give me your shoulder to lean
on when i needed you most.
I never felt alone
because you are always
there to me as a companion.


And even now,
i am a full grown person
and have a family of my own,
you are still there for me
in case i needed someone to lean on.
You never think less of your children
instead giving them
all your support and attention.


Mama,
you are the angel that keep me
always away from danger.
We can never repay
of what you sacrificed for me,
for us..your children.
Your gift to us never
worth even a million dollars.
You made us of what we are now
and I am very proud of you
and thankful to God that we have you
as a mother.


A mother's gift is priceless,
It's the life we are breathing right now,
we are nothing with out our mothers.
Mothers are the sweetest,
most loving creature that
God have ever created.


On this special day,
I vow to all mothers in the world
who take good care of thier children,
sacrificed everything for the sake of them.
Specially to my very own mother.


I love you mama,
I don't say it always but know in your heart,
you are love deeply and forget you never.
I am just one of the luckiest cause You are my Mother.

Happy Mother's Day.
By Emelita C. Smith
Post written by Elisa L.

No comments:

Post a Comment