Wednesday, January 15, 2014

A New Year, A New Beginning...Or Is It?

Happy New Year! It's hard to believe that it's the year 2014 already. Where does the time go to anyway?? As I prepared to write this blog post, I asked some phriends (friends who have PH) out in Facebook-land if they had any New Year's resolutions, and if so, what were they. I was all ready to hear about healthy new goals, breaking bad habits and creating better new habits, and becoming a better human being. I was not expecting a mixed collection of responses. Some people had one or several resolutions, and others had none. Here are a few comments from several phriends on why they haven't made resolutions:

Alex - I don't make resolutions, never have. They just seem to put us on a fast track to failure.

Jenn - I do not make resolutions. If I want to do something, I don't need January 1st to kick me in the butt and make me do something. I've never understood the point of New Year's resolutions.

Stuart - No New Years resolutions because they are just things to fail at. Set goals instead. Realistic attainable goals.

I will admit it, I have not made resolutions in the last few years. I have found it very hard to keep myself focused on the things I want to start doing (or stop doing), and I end up failing and feeling badly about it. So I figure, why bother? The only thing I do try to do every day throughout the entire year is be a good person, be helpful to others, and to try to maintain my health in the best way I know how. I don't really rely on the beginning of a new year to become the person I'd like to be!

Now, not everyone feels that resolutions are pointless. I did have some phriends who shared their resolutions for the new year, and here they are below:

James - Stay out of the hospital, was in the hospital on average every 6 weeks last year and that is too many. Also going to get out and walk, when the temperature is 45 degrees or above, that's when I can tolerate the temps. 

Rita - I did make a New Year's resolution: to try to find some kind of low impact exercise I can manage.

Stacey - I wouldn't call it making a resolution, but I do goal setting and reflect if I am doing things that support those goals. I do this throughout the year, but at New Year's, it's my time to re-evaluate.

Erin - So I have made resolutions my whole life. I have decided to do my 5 miles every day. That is a leap for me, I hope I can do it.

Bonnie - I try to make resolutions, but always break them. This year I'm just going to make sure I try and eat healthy and am there for my family. I'm close to God but would like to understand the Bible better.

Tiffany - I make at least one resolution a year because I become better, feel a sense of accomplishment and am moving forward. 

Susan - I did not make any official New Year's resolutions this year. I am however going to try walking 7 miles a week. 

Neeta - I have always made resolutions, set goals and kept them. Over the year, I re-evaluate at any special occasion (like Indian religious new year in March-April at the onset of Spring, onset of another season, etc., or whenever I simply feel like it) and add or take away the resolutions. This year, I want to get rid of a few pounds since my nose bleeds are a bit better. So, I started pulmonary rehab again. My goal is to be able to exercise without any monitoring.

So, how do you feel about New Year's resolutions? Did you make any resolutions for yourself? Or do you feel they are a waste of time? No matter how you feel, I do hope that each and every one of you have a terrific 2014 full of happiness, good fortune, and an abundance of healthy days ahead!!

-Colleen Schnell


No comments:

Post a Comment