Thursday, April 11, 2013

PHenomenal Lives: PH + HIV

by Jeannie Wraight
PH and HIV Patient


When I look back at who I was when I was first diagnosed with HIV, it's hard to believe I am the same person. I knew I was at risk. My boyfriend was HIV-positive and we took minimal precautions based on uneducated decisions. The only thing I can say in my own defense was that in 1995 there was little HIV education available, and syringe exchange programs, even in New York, were only open a few hours a day, a couple days a week.

We could never make it there in time to collect clean syringes, but we thought we had figured out how to use
them without putting me at risk. We were dead wrong. I was stupid and careless. I have never been sick from HIV. I am what they call a long-term non-progressor. My viral load is almost nonexistent and it took 15 years for my T-cells to decline to a point of concern. 
I have never been on HIV medication. For the past 15 years, I have lived and breathed HIV. 

I’m an AIDS treatment activist, focusing on such issues as novel drugs in development for HIV, including gene therapies, immune-based therapies and therapeutic vaccine. My big focus now is cure research. With one person already cured of HIV (though his treatment cannot be replicated for most), we are closer than ever to finally ending the AIDS crisis. Even so, my biggest problem is not HIV. It is my pulmonary hypertension that is the more likely of the two to take me down. 
I was diagnosed seven years ago with PH. I remember the night that I realized something was wrong. My dog, Jo-Jo, a rescued Akita, loved to take off running whenever he got the chance. He'd make me chase him around, pretending to stop and sniff a tree so I could catch up, allowing me to get within arms' reach before
running again until he’d had enough. I knew the game well, and having no choice but to let him do this ritual, I began chasing him through the streets of the Bronx. But this night was different. After a few minutes my lungs
started to burn. The air seemed to be disappearing. I kept needing to stop. Jo-Jo, of course, stopped beside me each time. My heart began beating wildly and I felt like I was hyperventilating. I couldn't catch my breath. 

Even with Jo-Jo mercifully waiting for me, I could barely keep up with him. I couldn't go home, even to get help, because I was afraid he'd run into traffic. I began crying uncontrollably. I remember walking past some kids who had been hanging out on the corner. One said, “Damn, girl, you ain't caught that dog yet? What's wrong with you?” I wanted to scream, “Something is wrong with me – I need help!” By the time I caught Jo-Jo, I thought I was going to die. When I finally walked through the door of my apartment, I fell to the ground, hysterical, and threw up. 

Luckily, my doctor had recently seen another doctor diagnose PH, so he sent me for an echocardiogram upon seeing my symptoms. Three weeks later I was at the 16th International AIDS Conference in Bangkok, Thailand, when it was time to call in for my results. After I was given a diagnosis of pulmonary hypertension over the phone, I immediately called a cardiologist friend for an explanation. He didn't need to say much. I knew from his voice it was bad. 

I have found that stress will aggravate my sickness and symptoms. Unfortunately, stress is a major factor in my life. Today, I am trying to minimize the amount of stress I feel and improve the way I handle it. I am newly married to a wonderful man from the United Kingdom, and as soon as the U.S. government approves his visa, I can start living the life I have always wanted — a quiet life with much less stress.

I will not give up. I am surviving HIV, and I plan to survive PH for as long as superhumanly possible. I have much to live for, particularly in the form of a gorgeous Brit. I am finally learning to come to peace with myself and the world. My PH may be HIV-related, or it may not. But one thing is for sure: more HIV physicians and patients need to be made aware of the risk of PH in HIV patients. One in 200 HIV-positive people have pulmonary hypertension, but because it is normally so rare, diagnosis comes too late for too many. I was lucky and I will work until my last breath to make sure that others are lucky as well, being diagnosed early and getting the appropriate treatment. My life is not nearly over, it has only just begun! 

No comments:

Post a Comment